The EPL or the English Premier League as it also being known has a high percentage of foreign ownership. Let’s take a look at who is behind the 20 clubs in the Premier League.
- Arsenal – Kroenke Sports & Entertainment (American) Owned by Stan Kroenke, an American businessman and investor. He is the founder of Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, a company that owns several sports teams, including the Arsenal football club. Kroenke is also the majority shareholder of the Los Angeles Rams American football team, as well as several other sports franchises in the United States.
- Aston Villa – NSWE Group (Egyptian) Co-owned by Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens. Nassef Sawiris is an Egyptian billionaire businessman who is the CEO of the Orascom Construction company. Wes Edens is an American businessman and investor who co-founded the Fortress Investment Group, a global investment management firm.
- Brentford – Matthew Benham (British) Owned by Matthew Benham, a British businessman and entrepreneur who made his fortune through a career in betting and statistical analysis. Benham is also the owner of FC Midtjylland, a Danish football club that has gained a reputation for using data analytics in player recruitment and team management.
- Brighton & Hove Albion – Tony Bloom (British) Owned by Tony Bloom, a British businessman and professional poker player. Bloom is the chairman of the club and is known for his shrewd business acumen and financial acuity.
- Bournemouth – Bill Foley (American) Bill Foley is a businessman and investor who is the Chairman of Fidelity National Financial, a leading provider of title insurance and mortgage services. Foley is also the owner of the Vegas Golden Knights ice hockey team and a co-owner of the Las Vegas Raiders American football team.
- Chelsea – Todd Boehly (American) Todd Boehly is a businessman and investor who is the Chairman and CEO of Eldridge Industries, a private investment firm based in Greenwich, Connecticut. Eldridge Industries has a diverse portfolio of companies across several industries, including media, entertainment, and real estate. Boehly is also a co-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team.
- Crystal Palace – Joshua Harris & David S. Blitzer (American) Co-owned by Joshua Harris and David S. Blitzer, both American businessmen and investors. Harris is the co-founder of Apollo Global Management, a global alternative investment firm, while Blitzer is a senior executive at Blackstone, another leading investment management firm.
- Everton – Farhad Moshiri (Iranian-British) Owned by Farhad Moshiri, a British-Iranian businessman and investor. Moshiri is the founder of the investment company Bridgewaters and is known for his involvement in several high-profile business deals.
- Fulham – Shahid Khan (American-Pakistani) Owned by Shahid Khan, a Pakistani-American billionaire businessman and investor. Khan is the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars American football team and is also involved in several other business ventures.
- Leeds United – Andrea Radrizzani (Italian) Owned by Andrea Radrizzani, an Italian businessman and entrepreneur. Radrizzani is the founder of the media company Aser Ventures and has a background in sports marketing and broadcasting.
- Leicester City – King Power International Group (Thai) Owned by the King Power International Group, a Thai travel retail company. The late Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, the founder of King Power, was the previous owner of the club until his tragic death in a helicopter crash in 2018. The ownership of the club has since passed on to his family.
- Liverpool – Fenway Sports Group (American) Owned by John W. Henry, an American businessman and investor who is the principal owner of the Fenway Sports Group. The Fenway Sports Group owns several sports teams, including the Liverpool football club and the Boston Red Sox baseball team.
- Manchester City – City Football Group (Abu Dhabi/UAE) Ownership Group Details: City Football Group is a holding company that administers association football clubs under the Manchester City F.C. brand. The group’s flagship club is Manchester City F.C., which is based in Manchester, England. The group is owned by the Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG), a United Arab Emirates-based investment and development company. ADUG acquired Manchester City F.C. in 2008.
- Manchester United – Glazer family (American) Owner: Manchester United plc Ownership Group Details: Manchester United plc is a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). The Glazer family, led by American businessman Malcolm Glazer, purchased the club in 2005 for a reported £790 million. The club’s shares are divided among the Glazer family, with American siblings Joel and Avram Glazer serving as co-chairmen of the club.
- Newcastle United – Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (Saudi Arabian) Ownership Group Details: The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF) purchased Newcastle United F.C. in 2021 for a reported £305 million. PIF is a sovereign wealth fund that is controlled by the government of Saudi Arabia. The acquisition has been the subject of controversy due to concerns about Saudi Arabia’s human rights record.
- Nottingham Forest – Evangelos Marinakis (Greek) Nottingham Forest Football Club is owned by Evangelos Marinakis, a Greek shipping magnate and businessman. Marinakis is the founder and owner of Capital Maritime & Trading Corp., a major Greek shipping company, and has other business interests in the media and tourism industries. Marinakis took over ownership of Nottingham Forest in 2017, and has since invested in the club’s infrastructure and facilities, including a new training ground and stadium renovations. Marinakis is known for his passion for football and has also owned and invested in other football clubs, including Olympiacos F.C. in Greece.
- Southampton – Gao Jisheng (Chinese) Ownership Group Details: Gao Jisheng is a Chinese businessman and the owner of Southampton F.C. He purchased an 80% stake in the club in 2017 for a reported £210 million. Gao made his fortune in real estate and has been involved in various business ventures in China.
- Tottenham Hotspur – ENIC Group (British) Owner: ENIC International Ltd. Ownership Group Details: ENIC International Ltd. is a private investment company that holds a controlling stake in Tottenham Hotspur F.C. ENIC was founded by British businessman Joe Lewis and is based in the Bahamas. Lewis is also the owner of the Tavistock Group, a private investment organization with interests in various sectors.
- West Ham United – David Sullivan & David Gold (British) West Ham United Football Club is owned by David Sullivan and David Gold, who together own a majority stake in the club through their investment company, WH Holding Limited. Sullivan and Gold acquired a 50% stake in West Ham in 2010 and later increased their ownership to 85%.
- Wolverhampton Wanderers: Fosun International (Chinese) Owner: Fosun International Ownership Group Details: Fosun International is a Chinese multinational conglomerate that holds a controlling stake in Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. The company acquired the club in 2016 for a reported £45 million. Fosun’s interests span a wide range of sectors, including finance, real estate, and tourism.
So where do we land:
Saudi Arabian: 1
North America: 7
Middle East: 3